Amazon Banner

Tuesday, September 28, 2021

FITNESS UPDATE: Insanity progression


Well, I made it through the first stage of "Insanity," the Beachbody workout program that I have been doing for the past couple of months. It only took me six weeks to get through the four-week stage of the program, being as I could only work out 3-5 times a week instead of the 6 days a week the program has scheduled. I don't know if this negatively impacted my progress. I do know that I did see some progress, because the "Fit Test" showed gains on most of the moves. Also, I was able to do some of the exercises better at the end than the first time around.

During the "recovery week," the program provided a specific workout to do five days in a row. It took me two weeks to get in five workout days, and I decided to alternate the ":recovery" workouts with the "upper body weight training" workouts, because I want more upper body weight training. 

I don't think this is fighting against the intention of the program too much for a couple of reasons:
1. The recovery workouts, both in this period and once a week during the regular program, are low on the cardio, as is the UBWT. 
2. Those recovery workouts focus on building strength, as does UBWT.

The one big difference is that the recovery workouts really focus on building leg strength, while the UBWT, of course, is about the upper body.

Leg strength is really important in building cardio, it seems. Most of the exercises involve variants of running, jumping, hopping, and squatting. I have found that my ability to complete a set is dependent on my cardio and my leg muscle endurance being both better, and at an equal level. I can tell when my lungs and heart are not done but the legs won't move any more, and when the legs can still do more, but I can't breathe and my heart is about to explode.

I am still using the Indian Clubs to augment my shoulder-arm workout. In fact, as I get stronger, I use them more. Although their weight combined is barely equal to my daily weight range, I can feel the resistance and it does add marginally to  my fatigue, but particularly in the shoulders.




I also notice that the way the clubs are held affects the exercize. When held at the bottom of the handle, the clubs can be swung, creating the opportunity to exercise my fingers and sword-gripping muscles (hand and forearm). Also, when at arms length, they feel heavier. If I choke up on them, I am still holding the same weight, but the stress is different. In some moves where I am supposed to pretend I am punching something, I adapt to striking them with the clubs. SCA-style.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment